Interior Upholstery

To: "Spitfires Mail List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Interior Upholstery
From: "Chris & Kelly Sharp" <4sharps@lvcm.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:26:31 -0700
Howdy listers!

My rolling renovation of my '64 spit is getting close to being finished,
which means the first things I did will probably need to be tackled again
soon.  -grin-

I'm finally getting to the interior.  The interior that came w/ the car
appears to be an older "tuck & roll" job with single stitches run horizontal
every 3 inches or so and vertical every 2 inches, making a kind of repeating
rectangular pattern.  This was on both doors and seats.  The fabric is heavy
velour in black.  The doors have a large pocket under the window crank
handle.  Also, the rear valance in front of the fuel tank matches the
pattern, only it's done in heavy vinyl.  Can't be original, right?

Bought some automotive vinyl, top fabric, piping etc. from the local auto
upholstery shop.  When I took the panels apart, I found that the cardboard
used is now rotted.  I can make a pattern from them, but that's about it.
I'd like to avoid using cardboard.  Has anyone out there found a good
replacement?  Or would cardboard be suitable?

Thanks in advance

Chris
1964 Spitfire4 BFC26375L