Re: My First Spitfire... before the anesthetic wears off...

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: My First Spitfire... before the anesthetic wears off...
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dbmitch@peoplepc.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:32:25 -0400
Under anesthetic, James wrote:
My first Spitfire was a lovely Pimento red Spitfire... sadly rather
shabby... but mechanically reasonable - it got me around.... and I loved
it to bits...

(past tense? can you see where Im going with this?)

Anyway, it bought me much joy over the 1 1/2 years of ownership,
learning how to fix it... constantly messing around with it...

I'd just put a shiney new exhaust on the car, everything was great...
tuned up... flying like a dream.

On my last day of work one easter holiday, I took the car in to show a
few friends and colleagues, my pride and joy. I even gave a fellow Spit
lister a drive around, bringing back memories.

At about 6 on Friday, I left work, the weather was rather bad, but no
worries as the wipers were working...

So, Im cruising along... its not nice in this weather but I have to get
home... on to the M25 I go...

20 minutes later....

rear view mirror!

blue cavalier!

bang!

wheeeeeeeeeeee... a nice 360 panorama view of the motorway....

errrr.... ouch.... blood... now Im facing the hard shoulder.... in the
fast lane.... more blood... this isn't too good....

looking right I see the traffic... phew... they're slowing down...

more blood... all over my trousers...

"you all right mate?"

"yeah... just bleeding a bit..."

ouch... my teeth...

so I get out... this is fun... the whole of the M25 has come to a stand
still for me...

a bit shaken... bloody hell! look at the back of my car!... it's a write
off!

the guy tells me to go over to the hard shoulder.... I go there...
picking up some of my tools that are scattered around... had my entire
toolbox in the car...

About 6 or 7 guys pushed the car... the rear end was stopping the wheels
from turning... "luckily" it was wet so it slid quite well...

Im on the hard shoulder... a guy gives me some water - everybody asks if
im ok... Im the only one injured out of the 3 cars...

Ambulance arrive...  take care of me good... give a statement to the
police...

"do you think you could get my tool box?" - it has *all* my tools in it...

"no, its wedged in good and tight"...

Do you wear glasses?

"No... er... I mean yes... why don't I have them on?"

Feel face... nope...

Oddly I feel quite happy...

"Anything else you want from the car sir?

"Seen the number plate? I'd quite like it...."

"Nope, if I find it I'll bag it and send it to you.... I used to have
one of them myself...."

In hospital... "you'll feel much worse tomorrow".... er... thanks...

Tetanus? Yummy, yes please...

Stitches... err.. ok... 7 of them in my upper gum... more blood...

That's the story so far..... photos of the Spit tomorrow when my Dad
goes and rescues the tools.... (and anything else that is loose...) if I
can make the pilgrimage I will... just for one last time... but I have a
bad feeling that tomorrow I'll be in bed....

James

Pimento Red......  (tears)

So sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hopefully you'll recover without
too much pain. Nail the sod for all you can. Make sure your back and
neck are OK.

Cheers,

Doug