Re: Removing Bell Housing and Tranny from Engine

To: "Mike Chmura" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>
Subject: Re: Removing Bell Housing and Tranny from Engine
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:31:47 +0100 (BST)
> - Does the bell housing and tranny immediately fall and needs to be
> supported underneath?

There are some small locating things at the top of the bell housing... if
I remember correctly.

The tranny will just fall down - the width of the bell housing means that
it will fall on to the chassis - not the ground - but its work holding it
up with something.

A strategically placed peice of wood across the chassis can help - also
helps you drag it backwards...

> - I've got the engine supported on a scissors jack with a block of wood
> but was wondering if the same had to be done for the tranny?

see above - best to use a trolley jack - especially for replacing it -
then you can lift and lower the engine as needed - very useful for both
the engine and gearbox... (ie 2 trolley jacks)

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit