Re: [SPIT6CGT6] Help with engine squeeking noise-damaged?

To: <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [SPIT6CGT6] Help with engine squeeking noise-damaged?
From: <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:14:37 -0500
oh no... sounds like a spun bearing.
either crank or rod big end.
Paul Tegler
ptegler@gouldfo.com
www.teglerizer.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "mikeross" <mikeross@prodigy.net>
To: "spitfires@autox.team" <spitfires@autox.team.net>;
<SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>; <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2003 7:08 PM

> I just returned from a test drive of my GT6 after replacing my rebuilt
diff, gearbox and brakes.  All my rebuilt systems worked great.  I drove
about 10 miles to get a fill up of 93 octain.  On the way home the engine
started making unusual noises.  First: a loud noise like tapping on metal
with a wrench.  Then a few minutes later it made a loud rhythmic screatching
sound like nales on a chalk board.  I saw smoke coming from under the
bonnet.

> I pulled over and shut down the engine.  On openning the bonnet, I noticed
a lot of smoke (burning oil?) coming out of the small rocker cover filter.
A quick check showed no leaking fluids.  Oil and water levels were good and
normal colors.  I had the car towed home and let it cool down.  I pulled the
rocker cover to see if there was any evedence of a broken push rods or
rockers; all looked normal.  I loosened the fan belt to check the water pump
for ease of turning and pully stabiliy; it seemed normal.  I checked for
thrust washer problems: no movement of crank shaft when pressing in clutch
pedal or when turn over.  I pulled the plugs: all were dry and light brown.
The engine starts easily and runs smoothly for about five seconds, then you
hear the loud screatching sound again.  This engine was rebuilt within the
last 2000 miles.