RE: Funky D-type O/D

To: "'Jeff McNeal'" <jmcneal@ohms.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Funky D-type O/D
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:43:30 +0100
Jeff,

Unless you are leaking significant amounts of gearbox oil (and I suspect
you'd have spotted that by now!) I doubt lack of oil is the problem - my O/D
has continued to work fine when I have been long past due a top-up (come to
think of it, it's way overdue now...), so a slight loss should not be the
cause of your problem.

I had a similar problem, and it turned out to be a dodgy home-made O/D
wiring harness made by the PO (who converted Daffy to O/D) which was cutting
out occasionally.  Since Mrs. Jones has been so impeccably re-built I doubt
you will have that, but I would still probably start with the wires and
switches as a possible cause.  I guess you could confirm this for sure by
rigging up a temporary idiot light with a wire leading to the solonoid,
which will show you if the cutting out coincides with a break in the
electrical supply.  I suggest this because intermittent electrical problems
like this never show up when testing in the garage!

I agree with previous posts that the O/D can be slow when the engine is cold
- it can take over 5 seconds to engage on Daffy when I have only just set
off, but once all is warmed up it engages pretty much instantly when I flick
the switch.

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the
sender
urgently and dispose of this email