Cooling System

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cooling System
From: "Pettis, Ward (NIH/NIDCD)" <pettisw@ms.nidcd.nih.gov>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:26:11 -0500
Hello everybody,

I drove my '76 legally for the first time two weeks ago with new MD tags
after 2 and half years!  It was a thrill to finally go on the roads, albeit
scary with larger cars all around.  Then while I was on travel last week, my
wife drove it a couple of times after receiving instructions on the manual
choke!

Question for you all:  (and I do note the Ken's recent suggestion to use
Zerex Racing Super Coolant, but we have freezing temp around here. It snowed
yesterday!)

My engine temperature gauge hovers well above the 3/4 mark, looks like 9/10
from where I sit.  I have new water pump, new thermostat (180), new
temperature sensor/transmitter.  I did clean out some of the crud from
inside the head when I had it off last year.  Radiator is the larger one
that fully fills the support frame.  Radiator has been cleaned and repaired.
All the driving had been in relatively cool weather ranging from 45 to 70
degrees.  Any suggestions?  This car has Weber carb and 4-1 header.

One other thing, I wish I had an overdrive or a fifth gear in this car.  At
about 50 MPH, the RPM at 3000 in fourth.  Yours similar??

Ward