Mk3 Fuel Tank Pickup?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Mk3 Fuel Tank Pickup?
From: Adam Rodnitzky <arodnitzky@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:59:04 -0800 (PST)
Hi Everyone,

Well, about a month back I posted an issue with a
strange fuel delivery problem. After more diagnosis, I
can see that when this problem occurs, fuel flow is
shut off between the tank and the fuel pump (I have
one of those clear glass fuel filters). Also, this
usually happens when the tank is under 1/2 full.
When this happens, I have flipped open the gas cap,
but have not heard air being sucked in, so I do not
think it is the common problem of reverse vacuum
pressure building up in the tank. This leads me to
think that there must be a fuel pickup line of some
sort at the bottom of the tank that may have corroded?
Has this ever happened to anyone? And what is the
method for removing this?

Thanks!

Adam
'70 Spit Mk3