Re: clutch adjustment

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <kimkell@decaturnet.com>,
Subject: Re: clutch adjustment
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:20:41 -0500
OK, you're spinning the input shaft.  All the gears but 1 and R have
synchro's so they are stopping the shaft and engaging the gears.

Since you can engage those other gears, I suspect your clutch is indeed
fully disengaging.  If the clutch engages just as the pedal comes off
the floor, that's a different story.

So, what I would immediately suspect is your pilot bearing inside the
crankshaft.  I've run into a number of these that caused problems with
drag on the inputshaft, giving the exact problems you describe.

>>> "D T Gebhard" <kimkell@decaturnet.com> 03/09/03 12:04PM >>>
Spitlisters,
    I just got done with my clutch replacement along with all the seals
that
could be gotten to with I was in there. Everything went back together
smoothly but on the ensuing test run (yea Howard it was neaer 50 here
in
northern IN *yesterday*...today, well thats a different story!!!)I'm
getting
a grinding/klunk when I try for reverse or first but not in any other
gear.
    Is my assuption correct that any ajustment must come with the
position
of the slave cyl.? By pushing it towards the engine I should get more
clutch
release.
    I did replace all component of the clutch and I didn't have these
problems before. It wasn't that bad of a job but when I put it back
together
I did everything as correct as possible including new bolts,nuts,seals
and
anything else I could clean or replace.