Re: Gaskets

To: "Michael Hargreave Mawson" <OC@46thFoot.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gaskets
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:03:32 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>

> So, how about combining both approaches - remove forward brackets *and*
> gasket?   Suicidal, or a recipe for trouble-free motoring, do you
> suppose?

Hi Mike,
    In my experience, even the slightest exhaust leak at the downpipe joint (on
a 1500) results in significant power loss. I'm sure it would be possible to
have your engine tuned with the joint in this condition, but I'm not a tuning
guru so I'll bow out on that score. It feels like a bodge to me rather than a
solution.
For peace of mind the best fix is to ditch the standard manifold and replace
with a well made tubular design (shop around as there is some rubbish about).
Firstly expensive, secondly I know you are reluctant to deviate from original
spec, but in all honesty the original manifold design is dreadful. I have been
told that the 1300 type manifold & exhaust (single downpipe) is adequate for
use on a standard 1500, but I've no personal experience here.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics