RE: flasher unit in 77 & rocker recon

To: "'James Carruthers'" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: flasher unit in 77 & rocker recon
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:18:47 -0000
James,

Flasher unit is just two pins for our cars, and it doesn't matter which way
round you connect them.

I've tried to replace my flasher before, since I got a much longer "off"
than "on".  Got one unit from TRGB, then two more from Halfords, all did
exactly the same thing - on, then off, then just stayed on continuously.
Makes me suspicious that it is my car, not all 3 units being dodgy, but I
couldn't figure out why so I stuck with the old unit.  That unit has now
given up - it flashes 6 or 7 times then sticks on, so I have to find a
solution.  I have been advised (by 'Cerberus' on the TTN) that an electronic
flasher unit from Halfords, HFU203, should do the trick, although it has one
extra terminal on it that needs to be earthed.

I wouldn't bother spending money replacing anything on your cylinder head
unless it is obviously worn or broken, beyond the work that you have already
had done which sounds good stuff (but someone more experienced in engine
rebuilds may disagree!).  It may be worth looking carefully at the contact
faces of the rockers to look for serious wear there, and make sure the
rockers don't move in any direction except the way they are meant to.  You
should check the rocker clearances - I won't go into the procedure here, as
it's covered in Haynes and is pretty straight-forward.  You will need a
feeler gauge, which is cheaply bought from any car parts store.

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the
sender
urgently and dispose of this email