Camber, Caster, Toe, SAI, Included Angle....

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Camber, Caster, Toe, SAI, Included Angle....
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 18:14:28 +0000
Dear All,

I've just had a four-wheel alignment done on Carly, and I have to admit
that I haven't really got the faintest idea what I have paid for, or
what I have achieved by doing so (except that she feels much easier to
drive...)

If anyone could answer any of the following questions, I'd be greatly
obliged.

1. Front Camber
The readings fall within the "specified range" according to their
computers, but the left wheel is at 2 deg 21 min, and the right wheel is
at 1 deg 58 min.   Is this an acceptable variance?

2. Caster
The readings are well below the "specified range" of  4 to 5 deg at 2
deg 36 min (Left) and 2 deg 53 min (Right).   Why might this not have
been corrected, and what is the effect?

3. Front Toe
It's OK, I think I understand this one!

4. SAI
I don't even know what this stands for, much less its significance.
Anyone?   Again, my corrected readings fall within the specified range,
but the Left wheel has half a degree more SAI than the right.   Is this
a problem?

5. Included Angle
Both within the range, but almost a degree difference between Left and
Right.   Problem?

6. Cross Camber
It's 24 mins.    Should I be pleased?

7. Cross caster
It's minus 17 mins.   Should I be pleased?

8. Total Front Toe
OK, I understand this one, and I'm happy with it. :-)

9. Rear Camber
I'm a bit concerned about this one.   The specified range is -4 deg 45
mins to -2 deg 45 min.   I've got +53 mins on the Left and +5 mins on
the right.   Problem?

10. Rear Toe
This too.   The specified range is zero to 8 mins.   I have -12 mins on
the left and +1 min on the right.   Surely this means that my rear
wheels are driving the car crab-wise?

11. Total Rear Toe
This should apparently be somewhere between zero and +16 mins.   I've
obviously got -11mins overall.

12. Rear Thrust Angle
No specified range for this, but they have altered it from -6 mins to -7
mins.   Is this good?  Bad?   Meaningless?

Having paid GBP40 plus VAT for the service, I'd like to understand what
I've got, and whether they should have done things differently.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671