Spitfire Brake Master

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Brake Master
From: sinclair@degenkolb.com
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:54:21 -0800
I have an Spitfire master cylinder (MK3 I believe) that appears to have
developed a slow leak.  Symptoms are the usual required topping up - every
3rd or 4th outing, and a small puddle on the drivers floor mat.

I have what appears to be the dual circuit master with a large clear-ish
plastic reservoir.  Is there any cheance that it is just the seal at the
base of the reservoir?  Do these go bad commonly?

I'm used to the single circuit masters - but it looks like there is some
sort of switch or warning light circuit between the two circuits (is this
the PDWA valve I hear about?).  But it appears to be disconnected.  Is
there supposed to be a lead to a warning light somewhere? - if so it was
long disconnected on mine !

I'm leaning toward sending the thing out for a rebuild.  What is the
likelihood of me fixing this thing properly just using a rebuild kit?  I
suppose I could dismantle and check the bore myself - but it might just be
easier to chuck the thing in a UPS box and be done with it.  Anyone have an
opinion on this.  I'm not really convinced I have the experience to judge
the condition of the bore myself - particularly since it is working OK at
the moment - pedal holds pressure fine.

Also - can anyone recommend a vendor for the rebuild? - Apple Hydraulics
sounds familiar but that might be those voices in my head again ;-)
I hear that these valves can be tricky to center properly.  I imagine that
the procedure is covered in Haynes - but are there any other tricks to look
out for.

I have just stripped the whole front firewall area and repainted so really
would like to fix this leak before reinstalling the master.

Thanks in advance.
Mark Sinclair
- on the digest