Re: Wheel stud size

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel stud size
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 05:42:30 -0500
You need to measure it to determine what size it now is.  The threading
and diameter of wheel studs is standard, so just a few nuts will tell
you what you've got.

As for determining exactly which stud you've been upgraded to, that's a
booger!  There's a whole lot of studs that will fit, as well as a whole
lot of misinformation about this on the web.  Beware!

My suggestion for reasonably positively identifying the type of stud
you've currently got would be to drive one of them out (the rear is
easiest) and take it into a good car parts place that will let you
peruse the wheel stud catalog and compare what you have to what is
listed.  You'll need a micrometer to do this btw.

Fwiw, I'm currently running metric wheelstud upgrades on my Spitfire.