Re: Alternative Alternators (UK) x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>,
Subject: Re: Alternative Alternators (UK) x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 17:22:33 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>

> My alternator is running a little poor, it would be alright, but it
> seems that the short journeys I do don't charge it up enough.
>
> So do I have any alternatives? I know there is the "GM" conversion, but
> thats only in America (unless they use them in the odd Vauxhall over
> here)

In good order, the Lucas alternator is perfectly adequate and in my experience
totally reliable.  Are you sure that your battery is good? I'm uncertain of the
specifics with a Spitfire, but in the case of the Herald it's extremely
ill-advised to fit too large an alternator without upgrading the wiring
harness. None of my Spitfires has ever needed a replacement alternator - my
wife's Spitfire (this was befeore I met her) killed 2 alternators through a
dead cell on the battery,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--