Re: UK LRP

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: UK LRP
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 07:29:25 +0000
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, at around 22:47:17 local time, William Davies
<bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

If you can find a Jet station nearby, I can recommend their LRP - the
performance is insignificantly different from 4Star in my Spit.

>    As LRP is being phased out I'd be inclined to make more permanent
>fueling arrangements before being forced to. All of our Triumphs are
>unconverted and run well on unleaded (again, avoiding BP).

Thanks, Bill.   So ordinary unleaded actually gives better performance
than LRP?   That surprises me, as I thought LRP *was* unleaded (plus
some (alternative) anti-knocking additives).

> The 2000 bebnefits from the octane of Shell Optimax - if I was going
>to pay over the odds for every tankful, I'd rather put this into all
>the cars than something as dubious as LRP.

Makes sense.   Several other people have commented (off-list) that
unleaded is the way to go, so I will try half a tank of Optimax and see
what happens.

> If you have an incredibly low mileage cylinder head without lead
>memory

Hardly!

> then put in an additive - unlike LRP, there are several brands which
>have been tested and approved as giving adequate protection by the
>Federation of British Motor Vehicle Clubs (look for the FBHVC logo on
>the containers), unlike LRP.

I have a bottle of this jollop in the boot - I put it in there a couple
of years ago, just in case I ever found myself unable to obtain 4Star. I
have never used it.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671