Re: UFO's, non LBC

To: Bradley D Richardson <bradrichardson@juno.com>
Subject: Re: UFO's, non LBC
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:13:51 -0600
Bradley D Richardson wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Roswell?  I've simply got to ask.  Have you ever seen a UFO there?  Or is
> it just hype?

Well, I will relate a spontaneous conversation I had in the grocery
store a couple of weeks after I arrived here:

Stranger in grocery line:  "Y'know, they got `em in freezers."
Me: "Uh, who have 'they' got in freezers?"
S: "On the base, they got `em in freezers."
Me: "What?"
S: "The aliens. In freezers. On the base."
Me: "I thought the base had been decommissioned in 1966, and all the
buildings are leased to commercial firms."
S: [leaning toward me confidentially] "The freezers are _underground_!"

Sort of says that, even here, there is a fringe element. <smile> The
city has hyped it, for the sake of tourism (good thing, too, since
manufacturing is fleeing the place like cockroaches in the light). There
are true believers, but most are skeptical. Me, no, I haven't seen one
(unless one counts the F-117As flying over my house on night training
missions). Would I like to see one? Sure. And I'd invite them in for a
Corona and fajitas, just to be sociable... and to pick their brains for
motive power secrets--the Triumph needs a tune-up.

And, Fred Thomas sez:

> Bradley, after as long as you've been on the list you ask now, Michael came
> off one of those UFO's driving his LBC.  "FT"

Actually, no, Fred, I didn't. But, I came in the closest thing to a UFO
I could manage... a `68 VW camper with a 1756cc twin-cam Lancia engine
installed, right down to 40DCOE Webers, hand-made tuned headers, and
ported, polished and cc'ed head. The Triumphs were delivered later, by
express... from [woooohhooooaaaahhoooo] the TR-Zone. <smile>

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....