Opinions on TR3s

To: "Spitfire Bulletin Board (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Opinions on TR3s
From: "St.John, Kenneth" <ken.stjohn@hexcel.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:04:04 -0700
OK, I know it's not a Spit, but it is a Triumph and it is my other dream car
(besides the Spit of course.)  Besides I know you folks and know you all
have opinions.

I've been looking at a 58 TR3A.  It's a three owner car.  Cosmeticly the
exterior is very good.  Paint and chrome are sharp.  There is some bubbling
along the rockers and evidence of bondo but overall the sills and floors all
look very good.  Interior could use some freshining up on the dash (43 year
oll plastic knobs) but overall is not bad and upholstery is good.  Has Side
curtains, top, and tonneau in good condition.

The car runs very smooth with good oil pressure but seems to lack power.  It
also diesels.  I didn't notice any smoke.  I'm thinking something as simple
as timing and carb adjustment???

Brakes are stiff but effective.  Tires good.

Clutch doesn't engage until last moment (but doesn't slip) - is this
adjustable.

Steering has lots of play though the car tracks ok - steering box?  Tie
rods?

$6000 + seems like a lot for a car that isn't ready to drive 500 miles, but
the problems don't seem huge and the foundation seems there for a really
nice car/ rolling restoration.

Am I crazy?  Should I grab it?  Does my diagnosis seem reasonable.  Come on
experts!

Thanks
Ken St.John
'74 Spitfire 1500 (Lil Red)