RE: viscous fan coupling

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: viscous fan coupling
From: <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:29:50 -0700
Gary, seen it and fixed it. Sounds like your clutch is on it's way out. It's
also noisy when it's loose.

A lot of folks just take it off and put on an electric fan.

I replaced mine with a good used one.

Take off fan blades then take out water pump (after draining of course).
Drive pump out of clutch - I used a socket as a drift - puller may work too -
don't have one.
Keep little spring clip thing. Mine was like new.
New one is reverse order if you do it.

Also books say to remove radiator. If you get blades off, I found there was
just  enough room to get pump/clutch out and in OK.

Don't forget to get a new pump gasket as that probably will need to be replaced
at the time.

Alan