Seatbelts and old Spits.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Seatbelts and old Spits.
From: Neil Penberthy <npenberthy@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 08:01:59 -0700 (PDT)
If you are in the UK one issue to be aware of is that
putting belts into a Spitfire makes the MoT test more
difficult to pass. I considered adding belts to my '64
Spit but gave up on the plan when I discovered that
the sills (inner and outer), and the floor pan are
considered strutural on cars with belts. If you do not
have belts in the car adding them will add these areas
to the list of areas which must meet MoT standards. My
64 had more fiberglass than metal so that rule
preventd me adding belts.

I never got used to driving without belts. My
passangers certainly had to stay awake in that car as
it was also built before they introduced "anti-burst"
locks. The passanger door had a habit of opening while
cornering!!

Regards

Neil

Jamin wrote about lacking seat belts:

<snip>
I recently purchased a '68 MK3 sans seatbelts, I
purchased the inertia reel type from VB and have found
myself with questions.
<snip>
Are there any other things to think about in regards
to locating the seatbelt?