Ignition problem update!!!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition problem update!!!
From: "David Lover" <dlover@mn.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 12:18:39 -0500
I know you guys have heard it before, but you ROCK!!!

My '74 spitfire (1500) runs!!!!!!!! I can't tell you how excited I am
that I fixed this myself (obviously through the help of this list).

I charged the battery, still wouldn't start.
Check distributor. Looked great.
Checked spark plug wires. Definately need to be replaced, but
connections solid.
Checked for spark. Good spark. Damn (I almost hoped it would be in the
ignition circuits somewhere to me that would have been easier).

I wasn't sure how to tap into the carb to check for fuel, so I pulled
the fuel line out of the carb and turned tried to start. Nothing... Not
a single drop came out.

Wasn't sure how to check the fuel pump, but I pulled the hose ahead of
the pump and sucked (through a clear hose as to not ingest gasoline.) It
came out freely. Oh crap, that must mean the pump. I pulled the hose
going from the pump to the carb. I knew it would be clear, but I thought
I'd rule it out before having to open up that pump.

According to Chilton, it is a "newer" pump, which means I can't go too
far into it. I pulled the cover. Filter was great. However the pump was
bone dry. That seemed wierd. Maybe the suction seal was broke. I cleaned
the inside and around the edges. I pulled out some little brass piece. I
also coated it with a little oil to maybe help with the seal (remember,
I'm reaching here). I put back together. Ran it. I got fuel shooting out
this time!!!!! I did however forget the little brass peice, so i put it
back, connected all fuel lines. Started it. FIRED RIGHT

Thanks for everyone help! I got a little more confidence with my ability
to keep up this car! I'm still not ready for the big stuff
(transmission, cylinders, etc.) but this was a great start for me!!!

Thanks again!