O2/Lambda Sensor

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: O2/Lambda Sensor
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:55:45 +0100
Hi People,

Now, one good thing about the M25 is that you have time to think, as you sit
there in 3 miles of high quality British traffic.

My thoughts turned to O2 sensors - mainly because the reason I wasted a
morning driving to work, breaking down, being "recovered", and then driving
back home, was because my choke stuck. And also of my obsession with
eventuallt being at peace with my carbs.

Now you might think that the simple operation of lifting the bonnet and
checking the chokes visually would be an idea - but thats far too simple for
my liking.

Now, wouldnt it have been useful to find this out whilst it was happening?
By way of a voltmeter on my dash somewhere?

This also surely has applications for tuning the car too? Just adjust the
mixture until it hits the magic number. Also - finding out the reason why my
car runs out of puff at 85 - I have different needles because of my K&Ns -
maybe theyre running too lean at full speed? So monitoring fuel/air
constantly could give some useful information. Thats what modern cars do
automatically right? Why has nobody thought of this before?

I've even thought of a rather funky idea of putting 2 x 1v meters in my ash
tray - mounted on the lid - with a green LED located in the bottom of the
ash tray to illuminate them - all automatically turned on by a switch that
senses that the ash tray has been flipped opened....

Now, I can just about deal with the electronics, but making 2 holes in my
exhaust somewhere doesnt excite me one bit.

So, is there somewhere I can go to get them fitted? Im thinking maybe some
sort of tune up shop - where the likes of the "hot hatch" obsessive go to
fit yet more ridiculous contraptions to their 1 litre Citreon Saxo's

Ahhhhh... the things you think up whilst sitting behind the travelling
salesman in his white Vauxhall Astra...

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit