Re: Engine break-in

To: John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Engine break-in
From: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:34:39 -0400
Hello Johnmac!

> 1000 mile service obviously involved draining off water-absorbing oil,
> a full release of cylinder head and manifolds, followed by a full
> re-torque and re-setting of valves clearances.

Well I for one am saving your last.  But I have two questions, re. the
quote above:

Water-absorbing oil, eh?  On the quattro list there was a long
discussion some time ago, whether VW's initial factory fill was with a
special oil or not-- without conclusion, as no one had any real data.
What can you tell us of your S-T experience?  And, most importantly,
what should the initial fill be, of a rebuilt engine today?

And, "full release"... meaning completely removed?  That seems excessive!

thanks!
Douglas Frank    DigitalWhoopsCompaqImeanHP Co.
ZKO              110 Spit Brook Rd.       The older I get,
603-884-0501     Nashua, NH USA 03062       the better I was.