She goes!

To: Spitfire Enthusiast <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: She goes!
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:00:22 -0700 (PDT)
It is now midnight on Wednesday and I have just started Saskia for the
first time in 2 months!  The carb gaskets arrived today so I refitted the
carbs and connect up the ancilliaries, cranked the engine for a couple
minutes and she roared into life!  The engine sounded surprisingly
healthy too, at 1500rpm there was a nice purr.

I was quite shocked that she actually started and that I had remembered
to connect everything up, I have got a bit pessimistic with that little
car of mine of late...

When I switched the engine off there was a bit of smoke rising from it
but I am guessing this is just excess chemicals (carb cleaner, gunk etc)
getting burnt off.

I haven't driven anywhere yet as I need to get the cooling system
professionally flushed out.  I was going to do this myself, but I want to
make sure that it is done properly as it is very silted up with rust.
This will hopefully get done on Friday.

I do have one question - how does the oil get up to the rockers, I can't
figure this out?

I would also like to give my heartfelt thanks to ALL listers who helped
me out here, I couldn't have done it without you all.  I am constantly
amazed by the quality and number of responses that I get to even trivial
questions.  Maintaining classic cars must have been a lot harder before
the advent of the internet and e-mail.

off to bed now,
cheers all,
John