Re: Carb Question

To: "Martin Pearce" <martin@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Carb Question
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:58:32 -0700
At 07:47 PM 8/11/02 +0100, Martin Pearce wrote:
>Just replaced the needles and the jets on my twin SUs (63 Spit 4) and notice
>that on the carb furthest away from the driver, the Piston Lifting Pin is
>solid and wont budge.  Firstly, I am presuming it shouldnt be like that?
>Secondly, how do I free it (is it a case of a good dose of WD40?  Thirdly,
>what problems is it likely to have caused?
>
>Thank you.

That tube is the 'jet assembly' tube, which moves up and down allowing
different air fuel mixtures to be accomplished with the choke.  It should
move in tandem with the rear carb's jet when you move the choke in and
out.  It's fairly common for them to get stuck though due to sitting in
place for long periods of time, varnish on the assembly, or if they become
bent.   They go down, but don't move back up.

You can disconnect the linkage and then move the tube up and down to free
it usually.  Twisting it back and forth helps out too.  You want it to move
freely.  Sometimes you'll need to loosen the base nut and recenter it to
the needle assembly on the dampener piston.

As for keeping it from sticking again in the future, ideally it shouldn't,
but you can use white lithium grease with good results.

-Vegaman Dan