RE: starter

To: "Spit list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: starter
From: "Joe Frakes" <joe@ados.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:33:03 -0700
Did you check the voltage at the specific time you were having problems, or
just when it was convienent (like I usually do)?  I had almost the exact
same symptoms when the voltage regulator went out on my Lucas alternator.
It would charge at times, discharge at others.  When it did charge, it did
so quite well.  Of course it was a champ at discharging also.

All the connections (as others mentioned) is definitely a good place to
start, just thought I'd share my experience...

Joe Frakes
'73 Spitfire 1500 (now with Delco alternator)
'55 Chevy 210 (incidentally also with Delco alternator)

I installed the self made (a la P. T) heat shield and results are
excellent. Vapor lock has been eliminated completely even with very hot
engine. Idle is stable as well. Unfortunately the starter problem had
been getting worse. First I had starter problem only with hot engine.
This weekend when I tested the new heat shield during a 200km trip I
started the engine almost in all kind of conditions (cold, little cold,
hot, very hot, hot after 5 min...). In every cases I had successful
starts (starter turns at high rev) and completely failed ones (starter
just turns a half and stops). I can't see anymore any direct relations
between heat and starter functioning. I checked fan belt, battery
(12.6V), charging (15-16V), all seems basically ok. The starter it self
or the solenoid could be suspected, but why it works a day and do not an
other under the same conditions?