RE: Steering wheel - front end question

To: "'Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou'" <doug@dougbraun.com>,
Subject: RE: Steering wheel - front end question
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:50:13 +0100
Doug,

I have to disagree.  I've removed my steering wheel several times without
problem.  If the wheel is non-original (as mine is now) then it must have
been removed before, and possibly not replaced correctly.  If the column
stalk switches have ever had to be removed, then the steering wheel will
have come off.  If the steering knuckle joint has ever had to be replaced
(not uncommon) then that might have been re-assembled out of alignment -
admittedly here the cause is not the steering wheel alignment, but
re-aligning the steering wheel is a valid solution (as long as the indicator
cancelling thingy is also re-aligned).

The only real problem is that the nut can be difficult to remove if you
don't have the correct (very large) socket.  Also the wheel can be very
tight down on the spline on the shaft, but if the nut is re-fitted by a
couple of threads (to stop the wheel flying off into your face) then a good
press up on the wheel with your knees will loosen it without damaging
anything.

As Nolan advises, check the rack is centred first.  But I would not be
afraid of removing the steering wheel.

One last point - I have heard suggestions that a rack could be deliberately
off-centre, so that a rack that has worn gear teeth around the
straight-ahead position can still be used without slop at the adjusted
straight-ahead.

Richard

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email