RE: Window seal placement

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Window seal placement
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@direct.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:50:03 -0700
Hi Patrick, here's hopefully helpful observations, and group, for those
interested, an update at the bottom.

Can someone tell me 1) from what point to what point does this run.
-From about 1/4 inch above the top of the topmost door hinge plate on the
body, all the way up the pillar. At the top, the flat bit has been trimmed
to fit under the chrome windscreen top, and the round bit is about 1/2 to
3/4 inches longer than that, just pointing up at the same angle as the
pillar. The furflex also has a bit of seal poking up where the part that
attaches to the body has been cut and the seal continues higher. I'm told
this is the correct (and more waterproof) way to help seal the top.
2) What orientation does this lay in?
-Round bit is out, flat bit close to the pillar. The seal part sits outside
the furflex, with a narrow groove between. (Give between these two seals may
be enough to create the groove). Where the body transitions from pillar to
body, the seal moves outward, so it sits about 1/4 inches proud of the body.
3) How do you attach it
-Glue I would think
4) should I wait until after the furflex is installed to place this?
-Maybe some one who has done this should comment. From looking at my Spit,
I'd think you would have a tough time installing the window seal once the
furflex is installed, as the flat bit sits under the furflex. On the other
hand, you want a bit of furflex to give you an idea how far from the actual
pillar this seal sits. If you are sure your have the excess, perhaps cut an
inch or so of furflex off, then use that to help see where to put the seal.
Sorry, don't have the technology to publish pics.
Good luck, and HTH
Nick Moseley
Enjoying my 78 back and forth to work every day (touch wood). Got a full
AirCare (emissions) pass last Sept, so was able to re-insure without having
to get an new pass. Thank goodness.
Still learning welding and metal work on the sill of the 76 on the
week-ends.
So far have resisted the temptation to buy an 80 with minimal rust reputed
to be a runner, and a 72 parts car. If that sounds like appropriate
restraint, bear in mind that it is due only to the threatening comments from
so far understanding spouse (I have 3 Spits with 3 chassis, the bodies and
engines just aren't all on the right chassis), and a friend (and fellow
lister) who very tactfully suggested I best focus on the current projects.
(Thanks P.W. for the voice of reason).
BTW, British Car week commuting from Delta to New Westminster (near
Vancouver B.C. Canada)in the Spit every day was a total washout, until I saw
a pale yellow TR2 or 3 on Highway 91 on Thurs or Fri eve.  But that was it,
for the whole week.
Cheers, now I can go back into quiet mode.