Re: Travel kit

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Travel kit
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:48:00 +0100
In article <p05010406b91ec40b8c57@[62.7.112.73]>, Marc Anger
<marcanger@mac.com> writes
>Dear listers
>
>I am probably barking mad, but we are thinking of going on holiday
>next July with Decibel. From Kent to South of France, local trips,
>and back, or something between 2 to 3 000 miles...
>What spare parts would you recommend as the "emergency kit" (knowing
>fully well that Murphy and its law will be lurking around, even if I
>tow a spare car...)

Assuming that you maintain the car correctly, and replace things like
fan belts at appropriate intervals, the only things that are likely to
go wrong are (a) minor things like light bulbs, and (b) major things
like engines or gearboxes.   By all means carry a few bulbs, and perhaps
the odd length of radiator hose, but I wouldn't bother about the spare
engine, gearbox, prop-shaft, etc.   You're never going to be able to
carry all the things that you might need.   That being the case, the two
most important things to carry are:

1. Mobile Phone
2. AA Relay Membership with overseas cover

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"