Re: Spit 1500 running again

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spit 1500 running again
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 06:55:31 -0400
SU's were never designed to handle the high fuel pressure's you're
running.  They are designed for 1-3 psi.  When you go over that, you
tend to get fuel spraying out of the bowl vents.

Since you were getting fuel starvation problems with a pressure
regulator set at 3.5 psi, you've got some other problems in the system
still.

FWIW, my pressure regulator is set at 1.5 psi for my SU's.  2 psi also
works.  Much higher then that and I tend to get overflowing fuel bowls.

The regulator is the proper solution for those who buy aftermarket fuel
pumps from companies like Vicky Brit, Roadster Factory, NAPA and such.
These pumps are designed to operate in the 3-5/7 psi range, which is
typical for "normal" carburetors on american and japanese vehicles, but
not for the very low pressure british SU and ZS carburetors.

>>> "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com> 05/29/02 10:13PM >>>
couldn't a '78 Spit be similarly configured?  Can anyone recommend a
pump
that will provide the proper pressure at speed (I'm thinking 4-5 psi -
I had
the regulator set on 3.5 and that wasn't enough, but without the
regulator
it's too much, apparently), but slow once the float bowls are filled
and not
overflow?