Constantly Depressing Stromberg

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Constantly Depressing Stromberg
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 13:21:30 EDT
Hi Folks,

After a few months of inactivity with the intake manifold off, we re-mounted
the previously ok Stromberg CD on our 80 Spitfire. The manifold is tight to
the head and all vacuum connections are blocked or connected, but the engine
refuses to idle. At first it would surge to 3500 rpm, then die. After a lot
of carbcleaner thru the various orfices, the bypass valve, the float chamber
and around the piston, it starts, goes to 3500 rpm and will stay there until
the throttle is blipped, then it dies.

Engine is otherwise unchanged from when it idled normally before replacing
the manifold gasket.

Any suggestions about what to try would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom Burke