Oiling trunnions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Oiling trunnions
From: BrYarboro@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 18:31:27 EDT
Hi fellow Spitters!
I've been off-line for several months after moving, but I finally got my
computer modem hooked up.
There have been many posts over time about how best to oil the pesky
trunnions on our cars. There is a VTR site
(www.vtr.org/maintain/trunnion-oil.html) that suggests a Quuicksilver grease
gun, part # C-91-37299, made for marine applications, that takes a 10 oz.
bottle of 90 wt. hypoid oil. and fits the trunnion grease zerks. I went to a
local marina and found they had a LubriMatic brand grease gun that does the
same thing.
It is part # 11138, ~ $18.00 US, and the 90 wt. GL-5 oil was another few
bucks, $20.00 and change US.
Can't wait to try it. I rebuilt the entire front end last fall and want to
make sure the trunnions are nice and full.
Happy spitting!
Brian Yarborough
'67 Mk.3
'70 Mk.3