Re: Valve spring binding test

To: sos@kymtnnet.org
Subject: Re: Valve spring binding test
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 11:07:02 -0400 (EDT)
I trust by "binding" you mean becoming "coil bound", i.e. compressing
so far that there is no longer space between adjacent coils.  If that
is what you wish to test for, there is nothing for it but to remove
the rocker cover and bar the engine over, either with the hand crank
or by engaging fourth gear and rolling the vehicle.  (Both are easier
to do with the sparking plugs removed.)  I would suggest backing each
valve adjuster off considerably, so that if binding is a problem at
proper adjustment, there will be sufficient slack during testing to
avoid it.  Observe each spring very carefully -- none should close
tighter than spec plus the considerable clearance you put in the
adjusters.  (e.g. specified compressed height = 1.00 in; tip-adjuster
clearance = 0.25 in; at full lift, the spring actual compressed height
should be 0.75 in.)

If a valve spring ever gets coil-bound, something will bend or break
to make room, so it's really a most nasty situation, one to be avoided
like any other plague.  Note that it is usually not a problem except
where a high-lift cam and/or rockers are installed.  If this is your
situation, you should have a professional engine builder (who will
know about all these things) look over your plan very carefully.

HTH,
Donald.