RE: freeze plug saga

To: "'Bill Miller'" <millerb@ivwnet.com>,
Subject: RE: freeze plug saga
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 09:37:48 +0100
Bill,

I had an odd one once (this on an MG BGT I had before the Spit).  The head
gasket blew.  I picked the car up from the garage after it had been
repaired, and that evening set off on a 1 1/2hr trip to London - and a
core-plug (I assume this is what you are calling a freeze plug, another
US/UK terminology confusion?) blew after about 20mins.  It seems unlikely
that this was co-incidence, although exactly how one could cause the other I
don't know.

How this random anecdote helps you I don't know - almost certainly not at
all!!

At this stage I would just put in a new core-plug, but get the system
pressure tested before you go anywhere (I was damned angry with my garage
for not pressure-testing the MG - I got no compensation, but then they never
got my business again).  If it happens a second time I would start thinking
harder about a solution.

I always like to give my cars the benefit of the doubt first time.  If
something goes once, I'll just replace it and not worry too much (unless it
was something very expensive to replace).  If it goes twice in quick
succession then I think a bit harder.

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email