Re: Fwd: Car shows- slight rant

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: Car shows- slight rant
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:28:10 +0100
In article <20020509.233456.-843715.2.gjdurham@juno.com>, gary durham
<gjdurham@juno.com> writes
><snip>
>
>> As a "real" Triumph owner (in your terms), I wish to make my desire to
>distance myself as far as possible from your sort of inverted-snobbery
>bullshit perfectly clear.
>
>> ATB
>> Mike
>
>Oh, my... GOD!  I really, really... REALLY... wish that there was some
>way in which I could convey the extent of my explosive laughter at
>reading your above praise re my virtue.  I owe you my heartfelt thanks,
>as I've not laughed so hard, for so long, in quite a while.  Indeed, I've
>laughed so hard, that the muscles above my ears are sore.

I am so glad to have brightened up your day.   Any day when you bring a
smile to someone's face is not a day wasted.

>In actuality, my dear boy, you've gone and completely missed (as in
>'read') my point.

Really?   Let me remind you of a few of the things you wrote:

"When you mention that the trailer Queen owners look down their noses at
you, just remember that, even 'tho they look down, they're still so far
below you that they're really looking up your ass."

Am I assume from this that you have any respect for people who trailer
their cars to shows?   I think not.

"I have met, and consistantly humiliated these (what I call)
'pseudo-triumph' owners."

Not only no respect for them, but a total refusal to recognise that they
really are Triumph owners too.   As I said, there should be room for all
in this hobby.

"The really good thing, is that there are many REAL Triumph owners (of
every model) out there."

I'm struggling here, but I think you are trying to say that the only
"REAL" Triumph owner is one who (a) doesn't trailer his car to events,
(b) bought his car in a state of disrepair, (c) works on it himself, and
(d) hasn't finished the restoration.   If he is a little short of cash
as well, that helps, for the purposes of your definition.   If so, I
qualify on every count, and I still don't share your unreasoning
contempt for Triumph owners who don't.

You go on to provide an example of mint-car-snobbery, describing the
car's owner as "this fool," "this idiot" who had an "effett snob nose"
("effete," perhaps?).   You suggest that he needed to "pull his head out
of his ass, and wipe some excrement off his eyes."   You describe him
and every other Triumph owner who doesn't fit your definition of "REAL"
as a "pompous ass."

You finish with "What I'm saying is, is that they are not in our
'circle', but rather, doomed perpetually to be outsiders."

Sounds like bullshit to me, old boy.   It also sounds quite a lot like
envy.

>And be more polite to the list, and also individuals (such as me, or
>anyone else!) in the future, and keep that kind of talk off the public
>'air waves' (didn't your mother teach you to think twice before you
>opened your mouth?).

Now *that* is funny!   Go back and read what you wrote, and then go and
look up the word "irony" in your dictionary.   If you don't own a
dictionary, there are plenty on the web.

To the other members of the list: I'm sorry.   It would seem that I have
inadvertently fed a troll.   It's been so long since I regularly read
the sorts of newsgroup that they usually frequent that I failed to
recognise this one when it appeared here.   I shan't make the same
mistake again - this troll is now in my killfile.

ATB

--
Mike
Ellie - 1963 White Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV