RE: interior

To: "'WRROOPE@aol.com'" <WRROOPE@aol.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: interior
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:19:52 +0100
Bill,

Check out http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/spitfire/images/186b.gif which shows
the armrest and tunnel cover.

Check out http://www.triumphspitfire.com/images/interior/elswickint.jpg
which is quite a good photo showing the interior.

The armrest has a pair of tabs at the front, pointing forwards, and a pair
half-way along that point straight down.  Screws pass through these holes
and should tap into holes in the transmission tunnel.  I always find it a
nightmare trying to get the holes to line up, because of two problems:
 - the holes in the tunnel are quite low, and it seems impossible to push
the arm-rest down hard enough to get them to line up (but they do)
 - you can't see the holes in the tunnel because they are covered in carpet!

I use a long thin pokey thing (the prong from my electrical multi-meter
works well) to poke through the carpet and feel around to try and find the
hole.  Once found I then use my pokey thing to prong through the tab and
into the hole and lever them until they are aligned.  Hold firmly in place,
and try and get the screw in and threaded before anything moves.  Repeat on
the other side (which is even harder once the first side is done).

The Rimmers picture shows only one screw each side for the tunnel cover
(that goes over the armrest), although I vaguely remember more.  The screws
are visible, so it's nice to use nice shiny ones with a shiny cup washer
underneath.  Fit in the same way as the armrest.

The knee pads have two screws each, on the tab at the thinner end.  These
screw into the transmission tunnel (I think these needed doing before the
tunnel cover is installed).  The tab at the fat end just tucks under the
fascia support, but doesn't screw into anything.  To be honest, you don't
really need to screw the other end in either, as it is held firmly enough in
place by the tunnel cover.

Hope this helps!

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email