SU Carbs

To: Spitfires Listserv <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU Carbs
From: John & Judy Tones <jtones@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 07:58:17 -0800
Hi All - on my '69 MK III, the Dual SU carbs have me scratching my head !
The vacuum  port on the front carb (only vacuum port on the set-up) does not
have any vacuum what so ever when the engine is running.
I have had an ongoing problem of timing with the car ever since I bought it
and only just now realized that a big problem is no vacuum advance <duh !!>
Anyway, on looking at the carb in question, I cannot see ANY hole from the
port into the carb throat. Have I got a carb that was mis-manufactured or
what is going on ?
In all the books I have on the Spitfires, there is not one picture or real
reference to the vacuum port in any of them.
If there should be a visible passage into the carb throat about how big in
diameter is it and does it go straight into the carb from the port such that
I could drill a passage through the port into the carb ? Looking at other
makes of carbs that I have kicking about, the passage is very small but all
seem to run straight from the port into the throat so that one could drill
it or enlarge it if that was your desire.
Any help would be much appreciated. TIA
John Tones
Victoria, BC