RE: Help with slipping O/D

To: "'M Klish'" <mwk_gjco@hotmail.com>, nass@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: RE: Help with slipping O/D
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:03:30 +0100
MWK,

The clutches within the O/D are not capable of handling the torque output
from the gearbox in 1st and 2nd gear.  There should be an inhibitor switch
(located where the gearlever fits into the gearbox extension) that prevents
the O/D being engaged in anything other than 3rd and 4th gears - my guess is
that this inhibitor switch was left out when you installed the O/D!!

You should probably look at installing this switch sometime in the future.
In the meantime just refrain from using O/D in the first two gears!

I have also heard of problems with the O/D from using, in effect, 'too good'
a gear oil.  Gear oil labelled 'Hypoid' (a fairly meaningless term, as this
just refers to gears that are cut at an angle rather than parallel to the
shaft, so I can't see it's relevance to oil specs) is apparently too slippy,
and can result in a slipping O/D.  I'm not entirely convinced about this,
but that's just me, and others have used this advice successfully.

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email