Re: Hardtop Resto - expensive seals?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hardtop Resto - expensive seals?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:19:14 +0100
In article <3CAD63AD.CE3A0936@cam.ac.uk>, T. .R. Dafforn
<td214@cam.ac.uk> writes

>> I also got a few quotes for re-spraying (in the region of three hundred
>> quid), so in the end, I simply got some black Carriage Paint from
>> Halfords, and slapped it on with a brush (price GBP15-ish).   If you
>> want to have the job done properly, you will probably have to allow at
>> least GBP200.
>
>Got my whole car resprayed for only 550 quid. Is your hard top for an estate?

<g>   Now there's a conversion that I really don't want to see!

Respraying is one of those things that the experts bamboozle the
innocent car-owner about.   One is told that "cheap" resprays are a
waste of money, and that a decent job will cost you a fortune.   I got a
"cheap" paint-job (GBP60) done on the new sill, and aside from the fact
that the paint doesn't match the rest of the car perfectly (which would
have been impossible, as the car is painted in about 17 subtly-different
shades of Inca Yellow), I can't see that it is in any way inferior. You
will note that in my cost estimate for James that I reduced the cost of
the hardtop respray by a third.   He might manage to do even better than
that.

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"