my uj and bearing update - and brake light

To: "Spitfire" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: my uj and bearing update - and brake light
From: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:51:16 -0000
Well I took my spit to the local Triumph garage, finally after several months
- indeed I do have one about 10 minutes away form my house in Chingford.

Anyway - the mechanic jacked up the rear - prodded about with a screwdriver
underneath - then wiggled the left wheel and laughed hysterically - it did
move rather a lot - according to him the uj and the bearings are completely
shot - really bad. The right side definatly needs the uj replaced - but the
bearings will need to be seen on the bench.

I've got a slot for next Monday - and they reckon its all going to take 5 1/2
hours. So that's 165 pounds + VAT - sounds reasonable? - that's obviously not
including the parts - because I've already bought them (2 half shafts and 2
bearing kits) - they themselves cost 170 pounds from TRGB.

My only problem with the garage are the 2 dilapidated spits their breaking
outside - its so sad to see a car like mine in such a sad state. Of course
every broken spit means theoretically mine goes up in price, but still....

Oh and the brake light took me all over 5 minutes to fix - the switch was
completly busted! I have no idea how it broke - most of it was missing - and
none of it was on the floor.

However disturbingly Ive found a patch of paint on the floor near the pedals -
about the size of my hand - where the paint has gone all soft and I can peel
it back like it was plastic. Brake fluid or something I imagine.

Thanks to all the listers who helped with my rear end thing - at least it
enabled me nod at the mechanic with some authority.

as ever awaiting the enevitable thing to go wrong next,

James

1977 Pimento Red Spit