Re: Wiper Motor run-on

To: parrotthead01@comcast.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wiper Motor run-on
From: Dan Canaan <flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:59:50 -0800
At 09:33 PM 3/11/02 -0500, parrotthead01@comcast.net wrote:
>Hi listers!  I have a restored 1980 Spit and a new problem as arisen....
>
>My wiper motor keeps running even after I turn off the switch.  It used to
>be intermittent, but now I can stop the wipers only by turning off the
>engine and pushing the wiper to the right.  It then "parks" itself.  Until
>next time.
>What's going on?  Can I fix it myself?

There are a set of wiper contacts and brushes on the inside of the wiper
gear case that give power to the motor depending upon the position of the
arm.  This is what lets it park itself after the power is turned off.  It
sounds like a contact has gone bad or become disconnected
internally.  Since it's just a brass wiper contact, you should be able to
fix it yourself pretty easily- you shouldn't even have to take the wiper
off the car.   It's a good time to replace the grease in the gear assembly
with white lithium instead.  The original grease gets pretty caked in there
and makes the motor work far harder than necessary, especially in colder
weather when the grease is thick.  White lithium is very consistent and
easy to work with in cases such as these.