RE: rust removal / rust prevention

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: rust removal / rust prevention
From: Marc Anger <marcanger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:51:28 +0000
My two pence's worth... about rust-stop
1) the sacrificial anode is a well known device in boating. You
usually have one around the shaft near the propeller, and aluminium
boat dip them when idle. However it may not apply to a car : it can
only work when there is a closed circuit (anode/electrolyte/cathode).
The electrolyte is easy to find at sea ;-). However it is absent
except under continuous rain (+ it helps if the water is dirty,
making it a better conductor). My understanding of rust forming is
that it will happen in those water and mud traps, where patches of
humidity will be trapped, hence promoting oxydation. if the
electrodes are not in contact with THIS humidity, rust will develop
as nothing will stop it to.

2) Oxydation is a (partially) reversible process. If the device works
it should be able to reduce rust to steel

3) Notice how Rust-stop give you a lifetime guarantee on the
product's components being free from defect but doesn't give you any
pledge that it will actually do something for you

4) #75.00 is a lot of money for what the system really is...

As for the Aussie site...
Their physics and chemistry looked OK but I felt lazy and didn't put
my mind to it yet. After all it is only 2p's worth :-)...

Regards

Marc