Mk II, Mk III funny

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mk II, Mk III funny
From: "Fred Griffiths" <griffco@cadvision.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 17:34:36 -0700
I picked up 12 old Popular Mechanics at a swap meet for $6, hoping for some
old ad photos of  Spitfires.  No pics, but I did come across this in the Sept
1970 issue, "Drivin' With Dan", by Dan Gurney. (Who's he?)

Q - What is the difference between the Triumph Spitfire Mk II and the Mk III?
- John Engstrom, Corning , N.Y.
\
A - Obviously, in addition to having one more mark, the Mk III, introduced to
replace the Mk II in 1967, has many differences that do not, however, affect
the basic appearance of the car.  The Mk II has a different cylinder head,
various trim and badge changes, higher bumpers and a soft top that folds back
into the rear well as opposed to the old type that had to be removed and
stowed in the luggage boot.  The Mk III, has had annual changes since its
introduction, among them the change to high-back seats and more effective
emission-control plumbing.***

I notice Dan didn't say trunk, but "luggage boot" instead .  Sounds kinda odd
in an American article, doesn't it?

An interesting thought here - since John Engstrom was obviously interested in
Spitfires in 1970, he could even be on this list today!

Cheers, Fred