Re: Clutch Hydraulics bleeding

To: "Greg Schluge" <gschluge@cstone.net>,
Subject: Re: Clutch Hydraulics bleeding
From: "Ree Gurley" <reegurley@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:29:08 -0500
Greg S. asked:

> Are there any tricks to bleeding the spit clutch hydraulics.

Yes, there is a trick.  I had the same problem several months ago upon
re-doing the hydraulics on my '78 clutch, and Lister Jeff McNeal gave me the
trick.  I also had the same problem a couple of days ago when redoing my '77
clutch (until I remembered Jeff's advice).

Basically, pull the slave back out, and with a strong dowel, rod, or
phillips-head, push the piston ALL THE WAY BACK till it's firmly against the
rear of the cylinder.  Re-install & bleed.

Details  ---  1.  Remove cap from master, cover with Saran-wrap, replace
cap.  2.  Disconnect hydraulic pipe from slave.  3.  Totally remove
pinch-bolt, remove slave.  4.  Push slave piston ALL THE WAY BACK to rear of
slave (you'll notice a bit of fluid coming out the bottom port, and probably
won't notice the bit of air coming out which of course is the culprit).  5.
Re-install slave, pinch-bolt and pipe.  6.  Remove cap and Saran from
master, top off fluid, and replace cap.  7.  Bleed system (a Mity-Vac is
great, if you have one).

It's worked for me 2 out of 2 times.  Let us know if it does for you.

Cheers,  Ree G. in Silver Spring, MD  -  78 FM73070U O driver  -  77
FM62988U wip