Tuning engine

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tuning engine
From: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:34:01 -0500
OK, I am trying to get my 79 Spit up and running after sitting for the past
year and a half.  It runs, and all mechanicals are in just rebuilt
condition.  However it is seriously out of tune (hence my earlier question
on webers).  I also need to set up the timing.  However, I don't have a
stock setup and am slightly lost on where to set up the timing.  I also
cannot drive up and down the road to test, since it is not currently
licensed.

Here is what I have.  '79 Spit, with 9:1 pistons.  Weber DGAV carb, no
emissions, free flow exhaust with header, and a hot street cam.  What is the
best way to set the timing correctly.  Also, should I have the vacuum
connected to the distributor?  It doesn't seem to pull any vacuum, but I am
using a large vacuum hose.  Would that affect it? Does it really even need
the vacuum?  How do I set advance and such?  Thanks.

Patrick Bowen
Who remembers how much more fun this car was in Florida than Ohio
* Confidentiality Notice * The information in this e-mail/facsimile
transmission is intended by intellinetics, Inc. for use only by the
individual or entity to which it is addressed.  This message may contain
information that is privileged or confidential.  If you are not the intended
copy of this e-mail/facsimile is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this transmission in error, please delete it from your system without
copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply e-mail
or by calling 614-921-8170.  Thank You * intellinetics, Inc. * 2190 Dividend
Drive * Columbus, OH  43228 * Phone: (614) 921-8170 * www.intellinetics.com
* Fax: (614) 850-2789