RE: t-shirts and copyrights

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: t-shirts and copyrights
From: "Chris Sharp" <chrislsharp@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:51:55 -0800
<Begin substantially large snip>

Just contact Haynes and ask for permission, or have someone else draw a
similar drawing- it would be so much easier.
---------------------
<End of Snip>

I've been following this thread w/ some interest and thought I'd throw in my
2 cents here....

Several years ago, I contacted Haynes about reproducing a portion of their
Jeep(R) Grand Wagoneer(TM) manual which hasn't been in print for some time.
I was a member of a mail group similar to this one and several folks had
mentioned that they could use a copy and couldn't find one.  My plan was to
scan and copy to CD-ROM in PDF format and distribute it to the other car
nuts like myself who could no longer get a copy.  Haynes' answer was a
prompt and emphatic "no", along with a comment that they never release their
copyrighted material.

Granted, a cover picture is a significantly smaller endevor than actual
pages from a repair manual.  However, given their strong objection, I doubt
they would permit it.

Chris