Hints on replacing a Spitfire door hinge

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Hints on replacing a Spitfire door hinge
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:21:31 -0500
Those of you with a good memory will remember that last week I asked for
hints on replacing a Spitfire door hinge.  The problem I foresaw was getting
access to the setscrew used instead of a bolt through one of the holes that
mount the hinge to the door.  Well, I found a neat solution that I thought
I'd pass along.

If you open the bonnet and leave the door closed, you get good access to all
three bolts that hold the hinge to the frame.  Since the door is being held
firmly by the latch you can remove those three bolts without the door
falling off.  This lets the hinge swing away and voila! expose the head of
the screw.  With a reasonable-size Phillips screwdriver you can then loosen
the screw, but alas it won't clear the frame to come all the way out.
However you can then re-install the frame bolts and open the door to remove
the screw.  Then you close the door again and remove the five remaining
bolts!  This also lets you install the new hinge while the latch is holding
the weight of the door.  Re-assembly is the reverse procedure.  Install all
but the screw, open the door to install the screw, close the door and remove
the three frame bolts so you can tighten the screw, then re-install the
frame bolts.  Piece o' cake!

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com
'80 Spitfire (Percy)