Tranny "What-The" issue...

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tranny "What-The" issue...
From: "Luke Lewis" <lukage@home.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 15:16:52 -0400
Greetings all,

I am wondering if anyone could give me an answer on this strange issue.  I
removed my transmission the other day to replace the synchros and a couple
of gears that were very rough, and all that went perfectly well, but now
I've noticed something really odd.  There doesn't seem to be any sort of
bearing or bushing between the 2 halves of the mainshaft!  When I first got
the car running I had to replace the input shaft bearing, which had
disintegrated, and I also installed a clutch pilot bush, since the original
had vanished ... but I never noticed (duh) that there was nothing keeping
the input and output shafts in line with one another.

So, my question is what is supposed to be there, a bearing or bushing, and
does the fact that the end of my output shaft looks kind of pitted and
crummy mean that the tranny's toast, or what?  I've been driving it like
this for about 7000 miles ... 1st was always pretty noisy, but I never
suspected I'd find this!

Luke
'71 Spit "Fireball"
'85 Voyager "May be coming back into service sooner than it thinks"
'01 Echo "Getting a LOT of mileage!"