Dot 5

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Dot 5
From: Bobpcoe@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 23:03:39 EDT
Coming to the end of restoration........
I have used dot 5 break/clutch fluid in my cylinders from front to back . The
problem I am encountering is the break master cylinder is leaking. I have
installed 2 new service kits from Rimmers but the seals dont seem big enough,
The plungers with new rubber seals seem loose and I can move them freely up
or down in the cylinde. After several  attempts switching seals around and
refitting I came to the conclusion that dot 5 being so mild ( no solvent
content ) could not swell the seals and tighten the fit .so I soaked the
seals in gasoline over night. Bingo the next morning they had grown to big so
I left them half a day and they shrunk half way back again, I fitted them in
the master cylinder and they work great for a week until the seals shrunk
back and now  I'm awash with Dot 5 again....., I think if I use Dot 3 the
seals would swell and tighten but If I spill any on the fire wall I'm
painting it again ( Concourse condition........ )
Anybody got constructive suggestions??? getting tired and fed up with  1,550
spare time  hours in one year !!!
Bob Coe