Re: UK to US translation?

To: Dean Rayner <dean_rayner@mac.com>
Subject: Re: UK to US translation?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:27:35 -0400
Dean Rayner wrote:
> Can some one clarify what Enamel is?
> and
> What Laquer is?
>
> As a UK resident I would call the origional paint technology
> on our cars  'Celulose' and moden paint technology 'Two Pack'.

  These words do not really translate one for one, because
they are all valid.

  Cellulose is lacquer. I guess the full name is
"cellulose lacquer", because auto lacquer comes in natural
and synthetic. Cellulose is the older style lacquer.

  Lacquer is the easiest to use, but requires the most
work and doesn't last nearly as long when on the car.

  Enamel can be either Acrylic or Urethane. Acrylic enamel
is also a DIY capable paint. It generally is used with
a small bit of hardener, but you can skip the hardener
and use it in a garage, it just takes a while to
fully harden. (even after a week it's still fragile, and
it can be six months before it REALLY gets hard although
you can use the car)

  Urethane Enamel is a fully synthetic paint, and can
only be sprayed with a hefty dose of toxic hardener. This
is the Two-Pack you refer to.

  Note that NONE of the above is related to basecoat-clearcoat,
any of the above technologies can be used as base-clear
or not.

   Generally the newest urethanes are used this
way to produce a "modern style" finish. However, some
people shoot base-clear in lacquer as well.

>  There is also the touch up sprays which I would call 'Acrylic' (Very soft).

  Most touch up sprays around here are lacquer. Unsure
of if they are synthetic or not, but that's what you
see around here when you go into the auto parts store
and see a whole wall of tiny touch up cans.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca