RE: Yeeeeeeee-ha!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Yeeeeeeee-ha!
From: "Laura Gharazeddine" <Laura.G@141.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:46:55 -0600

Having owned
>and driven a multitude of different Triumphs since my first

Herald in 1989,
>I have experienced cars with and without overdrive as daily

transport. Off
>the top of my head, those equipped with overdrive are as follows

(in
>chronological order of my ownership):
 <Omissions>
>So that's my experience. The only (in Triumph terms) overdrive

I've not used
>is the J-type, but I don't believe they are considered any less

reliable
>than the As and Ds I've had. While there are many matters to

address in the
>overdrive/non-overdrive decision, I would never let reliability

be an issue.
>I only wish it were a traightforward conversion on my early

Heralds......
>       Cheers,
>               Bill.

I wouldn't say that it's "over-drive bashing"-it's just three
people saying, maybe we don't want to do what everyone else is
doing-and for our own good reasons. I've taken a bit of criticism
for not going with the o/d-but I did my research, talked to people
and gave it good thought-and that's what I came up with. I think
that the major problem with o/d is when it's a conversion and not
factory. I wouldn't hesitate going with a Spitfire that had
factory installed o/d-but it seems from everyone I spoke to-it was
the conversions where things went wrong. Even people who do a lot
of conversions and Spitfire work have found this to be so. Like
Tim wrote-"more things to go wrong. And a bugger to get to when it
does..." (And mine being a daily driver and seeing as I am of very
limited means, when those things go wrong, it means that I am
really, really, truly stuck!)

Over drive bashing? No. Not following the crowd and doing what
we've been told we really have to do? Yes. Am I happy with my car?
VERY!

Thinking for herself,
Laura G.